Monday, June 27, 2016

Regularly Taking Measurements; Featuring a Knit Tortola

Well that's it! Today marks the three week anniversary of illness in this house, and I'm sooo ready to be rid of it. I've been doing nothing but cleaning, sanitizing, and lots of cuddling over the last three weeks. First week it was me, next was my oldest, and my youngest is currently still recovering (knock on wood!).
Somehow, I managed to sneak in a little sewing time here and there to boost my mood after a day full of cranky kids. I'm glad I did, Mommy needs to be sane to care for her littles, right?
So, I've been working on losing some weight lately, and trim out my shape. Can I let you in on a little secret? I admit doing a little happy dance when the flu I had brought my weight down about 10 pounds. After all, if I'm going to be sick, at least one good thing came out of it, right?
So, I was about to start a new project, and I thought to myself, I probably didn't lose any inches, but eh, what the heck, let's measure. So I did, and BOY was I glad I did! I went down almost TWO sizes in the Tortola!!! I was on the larger end of the large, now I"m on the smaller end of medium! I did this one in a small upper, graded up to a medium hips, but it's in a 25% stretch knit, and it's fairly snug, so I'd go with a straight medium for a woven. I added some darts in the armscye, because I forgot to shorten the straps slightly, and as a result, the armscye looks a bit tight. However, it's not uncomfortable.
I did a bias tape finish instead of facings, since it really bugs me if the facing wants to peek out. It was a little tricky, but in the end I conquered it, and got a nice neat finish.
Also, I made it a smidge shorter than I like, so I added a three inch band at the bottom. Bonus part? That meant no hemming!

I wish I had more pictures, but I've got to rely on me, myself and I for photography, and the self timer. It's just really hard to think of poses and try to be animated when I'm outside taking selfies, lol.
I'm super thrilled with this new top! I'm also super thrilled to be done, because I'm giddy with anticipation about my next project!! As some of you know, I'm on a Fabric diet until I've sewn most of what I have (which, I assure you, is not a lot by the standards set by Facebook sewing ladies!). My husband and I are not the hoarding type, and I tend to shop per project usually. One of my biggest fears is buying fabric and never using it, therefore the money going to waste that was spent on it.
I'll admit it, Hubs and I are both pretty tight with the penny (or nickel I guess, since pennies are extinct here, lol).
Anywho, back to my anticipated project. I'm not going to leave any hints as to what it is, but I think it'll be GORGEOUS!! I love pretty clothes!
Do you have a guess what it'll be? Leave it in the comments below! Don't be surprised if I don't confirm or deny any guesses though!
Remember, you can follow me on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook using the social media icons in the top and bottom left hand corners of my blog. Also my Pinterest Board with all my creations can be found in the bar along the right hand side. If you're looking to purchase or order something from my shop, you can contact me on my page. That's Sweet Stitch Shoppe. I love to hear from my readers, so please leave your comments and questions down below! Thanks for stopping in!

2 comments:

  1. Why I haven't thought to make this out of knit is beyond me!! It looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! (blush) I love it in knit! I'd like to try lace backed one yet, or a voile with a nice drape. Who knows? I love trying unusual and unorthadox fabric and pattern combos!

      Delete